Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Drug Life !!

I know drug addiction is commonplace in our age-group. Yet, being aware about it, and witnessing it are two totally different aspects.
This came to me on the 11th of July, '07, as I was parking my car in the parking lot common to SPCE students.At the corner, near the small chamber built, this group of boys, possibly from Bhavan's college, were making SUTTA of some powder they had. I was going to college for the CATIA class; decided to leave them to their misery.
2 hours later when i returned, they were still there....... in that same misery, smoking their lives out as though there would be no tomorrow. Two of them were literally sparring over one last puff.
Not that these kids were victims of circumstance; kids from rich families (i know they're more into this).
Something even more disturbing was that they were in possession of a white Indica Taxi (with an all India permit), whose number I did note down, but didn't know what do do with it; since i'm unaware of drug-trade scrutinising laws.
These occurrences make me feel so bloody helpless.... something like a small boat is wrecked with the young sailors drowning; gasping for dear breath, before they're embraced by mighty death; and I, safe on the pier, watching them being tossed around till they succumb.
My mother sighed in relief when I said I didn't do anything...
"Maulik, refrain from this militant reformist attitude; first come to power and then try improving the world....what if you'd tried stopping them; they had drugs; they'd also be keeping guns and knives."
Where....when does one hold the power to save these kids....to make reforms that'd bring back the glory of pre-colonial India?
A.P.J. Kalam (Sir) repeatedly stresses on the importance of education(I don't mean literacy) and harnessing youth power to propel the nation towards glories like energy-independence by 2020, AIDS eradication..... The youth progresses...it progresses uniformly. We can't afford to have such extremes of conditions....at one end, extremes of intelligence, polish, goodness, growth, optimism....and on the other, extremes of negativity, destruction.
Where do we make those at the ends unite, and harness the power of unison?

3 comments:

Arshat Chaudhary said...

I guess your mom is right when she asks you not to confront them face to face. At the max you could alert the authorities concerned.

The yough will progress...I m damn sure it will...But dont expect uniformity. It is difficult to search for uniformity in a country this diverse.

Maulik Mavani said...

You're right... thanks.

Abhijit V. Deshpande said...

dude, Maulik, thats a good post there, but dont feel sorry for such ppl...they r not worth ur time n concern.....